This is a great variation on sloppy joes. If you don’t like kale, you can substitute spinach or other greens, just reduce the cooking time.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 3 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- salt and pepper
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 4 hamburger buns (or similar type bread)
Heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, hamburger, and sausage, and cook about 3-4 minutes. Break up the ground meat into small pieces as it cooks.
Add the kale, season with salt and pepper, and continue cooking until the meat mixture is browned and the greens have wilted. Add the tomatoes with their juice and cook until the sauce reduces slightly, about 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
Toast the buns lightly, then spoon the meat/kale mixture onto the bottom half of the buns. Top each with a slice of mozzarella and the top bun. Serve while hot.