Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Spread some on salmon or ribs before grilling or add into a brown sugar marinade for chicken.
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine all ingredients; store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Baharat, a Middle Eastern spice combines cardamom, coriander seeds, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir some into your next vegetable dish, or mix some with lime juice and oil for a savory marinade.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper**
Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, mash the ingredients together for 2 to 3 minutes.
**You can substitute white pepper if you want a less spicy blend.
Makes about 2 cups
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons dried granulated onion
- 3 tablespoons dried granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground New Mexican chile
- 1 tablespoon ground chipotle chile
Combine the paprika, onion, garlic, cayenne, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, oregano, New Mexican chile, and chipotle chile in a bowl. Store in a covered container up to 6 months.
Substitutions: You can use hot or smoked paprika instead of regular to change the flavor. This recipe doesn’t call for any salt, do remember to salt your ingredients in addition to using the spice in a recipe.
Everything Bagel Spice
- 2 ½ teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 ½ teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
Combine ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.
Garam Malsala Powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a bowl. Place mix in an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place.
3 tablespoons cinnamon
6 star anise or 2 teaspoons anise seeds
1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 1⁄2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns or 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine all ingredients in blender or coffee grinder. Blend until finely ground. Store in airtight container. It will keep up to 2 months.
Note: For a more intense flavor, toast the whole spices in a dry pan for a few minutes.