This is a great salad that can be served warm or cold. If you make it the night before, make sure to drain it again before serving it.
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cups boiling water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 cucumber, diced (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced (small)
- 1 scallion, greens thinly sliced and whites removed
- 1/2 cup flat leaf (Italian) parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs mint (about2 tbsp), leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 large radishes (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced olives (try Kalamata, green, and black for a tasty mix)
Place the bulgur wheat and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a large, heat-resistant bowl, and mix to coat everything with oil. Cover the bulgur with the boiling water, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to steam for 15-20 minutes.
Strain the soaked bulgur in a fine-mesh sieve and discard the water. Spread the bulgur onto a sheet tray to cool. Place back in the bowl when cool.
Add the garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining olive oil into a separate large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the cucumber, tomato, red onion, radishes, scallions, parsley, mint, and olives to the bowl with the bulgur. Stir the dressing into the salad mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
**other options: add cooked rice or quinoa in place of part of the bulgur before mixing