- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15-oz can Great Northern or Cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small baguette, or 1/2 a loaf of French bread, cut on the bias into 8 slices
- 1 cup loosely packed arugula
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Cut the bread into slices; set aside.
Put a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. of the olive oil followed by the beans, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant and the beans are warmed. This should only take 4-5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, and mash into a thick paste (a potato masher works great for this). Add 1/4 cup of water. Continue stirring and mashing until the mixture is creamy, but not completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest and Parmesan.
Drizzle both sides of the bread with 1 tbsp. olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill until toasted on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
In a medium bowl, combine the arugula, lemon juice, remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil, and a pinch of salt; toss to combine.
Spread some of the bean mixture on each toast, top with arugula, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese, and serve.